Rooted in Truth and Justice
In the 13th century, St. Dominic by his example defied the common practice of his rich peers in the Church and lived among the poor to share the Word of God and work for justice.
St. Catherine of Siena, now recognized as a "Doctor of the Church," worked as a negotiator to mend differences in the Church. She was a mystic whose constant conversation with God permeated her relationships and her ministry.
Both St. Dominic and St. Catherine were risk-takers in their time. So, too, was Mother Maria Benedicta Bauer, who founded the Racine Dominicans in 1862. As prioress of the cloistered Bavarian community, she was the first to send women to the United States to minister. Mother Benedicta herself then came specifically to found a community committed to teaching immigrant children. That same risk-taking spirit continues through the Racine Dominicans' commitment to truth and justice in a contemporary world.
At this time within the Church and global community, Racine Dominicans invite women to join them in community life, prayer, study and ministry.
A brief history of the Racine Dominicans
The Congregation of the Sisters of St. Dominic, now more commonly called the Racine Dominicans, was founded in Racine, Wisconsin, by Mother Benedicta Bauer and Mother Thomasina Ginker in 1862. The two nuns traveled from the monastery of Heilig Kreuz in Regensburg, Bavaria, in 1858, intent on establishing a motherhouse and school to teach children of German immigrants. After four years, the Regensburg Sisters gathered ten companions, purchased property in Racine, Wisconsin and began the foundation of our community serving the underprivileged and providing education in English and German to mostly working class immigrant students.
For more than 150 years, the Racine Dominicans have continued to build on this foundation begun by Mother Benedicta and Mother Thomasina in serving people in need through education. During the Racine Dominicans congregational peak, they served in over fifty institutions of learning. In addition to traditional roles in the field of education, the Racine Dominicans currently serve as health care professionals, social workers, prison ministers, community organizers, environmentalists, counselors, administrators, cooks, pastoral ministers, artists, spiritual directors, musicians, peace activists, researchers, college professors, writers and more. They are living in eight states in pursuit of truth and justice throughout the world.
Learn more about some of the individual journeys of our Sisters.
Mother Benedicta founded Sisters of St. Dominic of St. Catherine of Siena in 1862
After nearly two years of teaching in Williamsburg, New York, with sisters sent there earlier from Heilig Kreuz by Mother Benedicta herself, they had attempted foundations first in Nashville, Tennessee (1860), and then in Green Bay, Wisconsin (1861).
The first, however, had never come to be because of the disarray of the German community in Nashville. The second had failed after only a year because the German Catholics of Green Bay were too poor to support even the simplest of schools. But by 1862 the two Regensburg nuns had already gathered ten companions, and with the purchase of property in Racine they began a foundation which would in 1877 be formally incorporated into the Dominican Order.
Commitment to Immigrants
She emphasized in all of her advertising for her schools that both English and German would be used. As she had in her schools in Bavaria, she recruited as students especially children of the working class. The latter emphasis continued strong in the community after Mother Benedicta's death in 1865. Efforts at adapting to the American culture, however, were much weaker in her successors, and for years the Racine Dominican community remained heavily German, especially in its internal life.
The point of formal affiliation of the congregation within the Dominican Order in 1877 brought a critical turning point for the sisters, who up to this point had assumed that they would remain members of the "second order" or cloistered branch of the Order, maintaining schools connected as closely as possible with their houses as the foundresses had in Bavaria. They were discovering, however, that in this country this was in most cases impractical or even impossible.
It was the Master of the Order who insisted that they choose either to live a fully cloistered life without schools or to change their status to that of sisters with simple rather than solemn vows. Though the latter meant giving up their status as canonically recognized "religious" within the Roman Catholic Church, the sisters chose to remain faithful to the purpose for which they had made the American foundation. They were the first of the American houses founded out of Heilig Kreuz in Regensburg to make that difficult decision - which all of those American congregations eventually made.
In 1892 the congregation adopted its first Constitution designed specifically for this now non-cloistered teaching community.
Faithful to Their Purpose
Sister Formation Movement
More about Mother Benedicta when establishing the first motherhouse
from Embrace the Swelling Wave by S. Suzanne Noffke, OP
The sisters arrived in Racine on May 12, 1862, and settled into a house they had purchased on St. Claire Street – what is now Douglas Avenue – across the street from St. Patrick’s Church. On May 28, The Racine Advocate carried the following announcement:
The Nuns of the Order of St. Dominic: — Now 655 years in existence. The Rev. Mother Benedicta is a professed Nun of a Bavarian Monastery, who came to this country to establish her Order. The establishment in Racine is the first house of this Religious Order in the United States. She has now eleven Sisters under her direction. They intend opening a School under the direction of Rev. Father GIBSON, in the 4th Ward, on the 2nd of June. They will teach music on the Organ, Piano, Melodeon, Guitar, and Singing. Also, Embroidery, Ornamental Needle Work, etc. The Rev. Mother has been teaching music in her native Monastery for the last thirty years, and is one of the most perfect teachers. For terms, etc., enquire at their house opposite the Catholic Church, 4th Ward.
Within a few months the young community outgrew the first house and a second they had purchased on St. Claire Street; so in spring of 1863 they moved to the property on the future Park Avenue where, piece by piece, our “old motherhouse” would rise.
Embrace the Swelling Wave by S. Suzanne Noffke, OP
Embrace the Swelling Wave is the first volume about the history of the Racine Dominicans. Embrace the Swelling Wave won the Wisconsin Historical Society's 2005 Award of Merit for its contribution to the history of the state of Wisconsin.
A Time to Grow by S. Dolores Enderle, OP
This volume of the history of the Racine Dominicans narrates the steady growth of the community from 1901 through 1964. The book is available in both hardcover and paperback through the publisher, AuthorHouse, as well as from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Siena Retreat Center bookstore (262-898-2590).